Scalp Enhancers that Make Your Hair Look Good
Let's admit it; we're pretty proud of how our hair looks. It's one of the things that we want to get complimented on, and is an essential part of our complete look. And while we don't spend as much time fussing about our hair the way girls do, we go great lengths just to make our crowning glory look good.
But have any of us really thought about taking care of the bed our hair grows on? We're talking about the scalp. It's a little known fact that the key to great hair is a great scalp, so if we want to improve our hair, we should start where it grows.
Why is the scalp such an important part of overall hair care? You'd think that something that's covered most of the time wouldn't require so much care, but it does. Think of your scalp as the fertile ground where the plants grow, with hair being the plants. If our scalp isn't healthy, you can be sure that the hair that's growing on it isn't strong, either.
And what's the most common scalp problem out there? You guessed it; dandruff. This chronic scalp condition causes the skin on your scalp to flake. It isn't exactly life threatening, but it is embarrassing and can ruin your look - especially when the dandruff falls when you scratch your head or comb through your hair. It's even worse if it ends up on your shoulders and is evident in the dark clothing you wear.
The cause of dandruff itself can either be due to a fungus or just an extremely dry scalp. The stuff we apply on our hair, such as gels and waxes also contribute to a drier scalp since it 'locks' the moisture away from the scalp.
Additionally, hair that grows on dry or 'dandruff-rich' scalp has noticeable cuticle damage and isn't as strong as hair that grows on healthy scalp. So if you've been wondering why your hair seems to fall easily, there may be something wrong with your scalp. Luckily for us, these can easily be remedied.
Use Scalp Shampoos
There are shampoos and conditioners in the supermarket that focus on treatment for the scalp. These shampoos contain minerals that specifically protect the scalp and strengthen it against dryness and dirt, effectively preventing dandruff and strengthening our hair. Unlike your standard shampoo, these shampoos also tend to have enough strength to wash away the stuff that we apply on our hair that's hard to get rid of, like wax, gel and pomade.
If you aren't keen on using anti-dandruff shampoos, at least use an anti-dandruff conditioner. Most shampoos are potent enough to strip the nutrients right off our scalp, which in turn causes drying. Anti-dandruff conditioners restore those nutrients and keep our hair healthy and moisturized throughout the day.
These two are your main scalp enhancers, but there's more to a healthy scalp than just using shampoo and conditioner.
Best Scalp Practices
Apart from using anti-dandruff shampoos and conditioners, there are also a few things we need to remember to make sure our scalp stays healthy throughout the day:
- Use anti-dandruff shampoos once every day. Using it more than once a day may have the reverse effect and actually cause more drying. If you have a sensitive scalp, it's best to use these kinds of shampoos just once a week, and make sure to dilute the product in a bit of water before washing your scalp and hair with it.
- Oily hair isn't always bad. In fact, our scalp produces natural oils that nourish both itself and our hair. If your hair gets too oily, simply wash it with cold water.
- Avoid hot showers if your scalp is already dry and has dandruff. It's only going to make things worse.
- Our scalp needs a good scrub, too. Regular brushing doesn't just keep our hair looking good, it scrubs away the dead skin on our scalp that may eventually turn into dandruff.
- Go natural! You don't need to style your hair all the time with thick gel or wax, especially if your scalp's already dry. These products can cause dandruff buildup if overused and not washed off properly at the end of the day.
To get great looking hair, you need to make sure your scalp feels great first. Protect and strengthen your hair from within, and your crowning glory will be even more majestic than ever, free of dandruff and full of thickness, shine and style. All it takes are just simple adjustments to our hair routine.